Make Parenting A Pleasure® Second Edition, Parenting Now’s flagship child abuse prevention program, is a research- and evidence-based group curriculum for use with highly stressed parents of children from 0 to 8 years old.
Make Parenting A Pleasure is grounded in the Center for the Study of Social Policy’s Protective Factors Framework: parental resilience; social connections; concrete support in times of need; knowledge of parenting and child development; and social and emotional competence of children. These five factors are associated with reducing the potential for child abuse and neglect.
A 2019 paper in Child and Family Behavior Therapy describes the results of a clinical trial of Make Parenting A Pleasure with highly stressed families. Promising outcomes included improvement of self-reported symptoms of parental depression and improved parenting skills and knowledge of child development.
The Second Edition aligns with Head Start Performance Standards 1302.51, Parent activities to promote child learning and development, and is listed as both a research- and evidence-based curriculum in their Parenting Curricula Review Databases.
- Parenting Educator Guide
- Easy to use, discussion-focused curriculum adaptable to wide range of environments and populations
- Each module formatted with icons identifying key concepts and activities
- Nine videos that model parent behavior and serve as conversation starters
- 15 parent booklets with reproducible handouts and 15 parent graduation certificates
- Evaluation materials
- or -
Key Topics Have Been Expanded in the Second Edition
- Parents identify and discuss “Barriers” they may encounter
- Parents identify the values and goals they want for their child, as they “pack their child’s suitcase”
- Parents learn to support their children's emotional development through emotion coaching
- Parents learn to strengthen the parent-child relationship with “Positive Attention Through Play”
- Parents learn about current brain development information and the “Effect of Stress” on child development
- Parents use Home Practice Cards to reinforce skill-building
Training for Make Parenting A Pleasure, SE
The curriculum has comprehensive, clear step-by-step instructions for the Parenting Educator that enables implementation of the program without a training requirement. However, many Parenting Educators greatly benefit from the training and training support services provided by Parenting Now. Please see our Training for Parenting Educators page.