Make Parenting A Pleasure, Second Edition is a nationally recognized, group-based curriculum for parenting educators serving highly stressed parents of children 0-8. Evidenced-based and research-informed, a recent clinical trial found that MPAP participants improved symptoms of parental depression, improved parenting skills and knowledge of child development.
Make Parenting A Pleasure is grounded in the Center for the Study of Social Policy’s Protective Factors Framework: parental resilience; social connections; concrete support in times of need; knowledge of parenting and child development; and social and emotional competence of children. These five factors are associated with reducing the potential for child abuse and neglect.
A 2019 paper in Child and Family Behavior Therapy describes the results of a clinical trial of Make Parenting A Pleasure with highly stressed families. Promising outcomes included improvement of self-reported symptoms of parental depression and improved parenting skills and knowledge of child development.
The Second Edition aligns with Head Start Performance Standards 1302.51, Parent activities to promote child learning and development, and is listed as both a research- and evidence-based curriculum in their Parenting Curricula Review Databases.
The Second Edition is updated with a fully reconfigured presentation of content and new videos supporting the new formatting.
The curriculum is built on a foundation of more than 35 years of experience in working with highly-stressed families with children ages newborn to 8. Make Parenting A Pleasure’s prior evaluations demonstrate efficacy in reducing parent stress and addressing the protective factors shown to reduce the potential for child abuse. Thousands of families have completed Make Parenting A Pleasure groups.
Make Parenting A Pleasure addresses key topics including:
- Self care
- Stress and anger management
- Understanding child development
- Communication skills
- Positive discipline
Designed by parenting educators for parenting educators, Make Parenting A Pleasure's facilitated approach to parent education helps parents achieve their goals for their families and respects the diversity of those goals. Parenting educators give the program high marks for its ease-of-use.
Make Parenting A Pleasure is group-based. Its curriculum is modularized into discrete sessions, contained within separate facilitator booklets, to enable organizations to offer multiple groups using a single set of materials.
Make Parenting A Pleasure Second Edition includes:
- 12 modules formatted with icons identifying key concepts, session agendas, and meeting shopping list
- Facilitator's guide makes it easy to stay on task
- 15 parent booklets with reproducible handouts
- 15 parent graduation certificates. Print files provided to produce additional certificates
- 2 flash drives, each containing 9 videos that serve as conversation starters
- Parent evaluation materials
Key Topics Have Been Expanded in the Second Edition
- Parents identify and discuss “Barriers” they may encounter
- Parents identify the values and goals they want for their child, as they “pack their child’s suitcase”
- Parents learn to support their children's emotional development through emotion coaching
- Parents learn to strengthen the parent-child relationship with “Positive Attention Through Play”
- Parents learn about current brain development information and the “Effect of Stress” on child development
- Parents use Home Practice Cards to reinforce skill-building