Make Parenting A Pleasure®, Second Edition, Parenting Now’s flagship child abuse prevention program, is a research- and evidence-based group curriculum for use with highly stressed parents of children from 0 to 8 years old.
Make Parenting A Pleasure® is grounded in the Center for the Study of Social Policy’s Protective Factors Framework: parental resilience; social connections; concrete support in times of need; knowledge of parenting and child development; and social and emotional competence of children. These five factors are associated with reducing the potential for child abuse and neglect.
A 2019 paper in Child and Family Behavior Therapy describes the results of a clinical trial of Make Parenting A Pleasure® with highly stressed families. Promising outcomes included improvement of self-reported symptoms of parental depression and improved parenting skills and knowledge of child development.
The Second Edition aligns with Head Start Performance Standards 1302.51, Parent activities to promote child learning and development, and is listed as both a research- and evidence-based curriculum in their Parenting Curricula Review Databases.
- or -
Key Topics Have Been Expanded in the Second Edition
- Parents identify and discuss “Barriers” they may encounter
- Parents identify the values and goals they want for their child, as they “pack their child’s suitcase”
- Parents learn to support their children's emotional development through emotion coaching
- Parents learn to strengthen the parent-child relationship with “Positive Attention Through Play”
- Parents learn about current brain development information and the “Effect of Stress” on child development
- Parents use Home Practice Cards to reinforce skill-building
Your Purchase Includes
- Parenting Educator Guide
- Easy to use, discussion-focused curriculum adaptable to wide range of environments and populations
- Each module formatted with icons identifying key concepts and activities
- Nine short videos on DVD and YouTube model parent behavior and serve as conversation starters
- 15 parent booklets with reproducible handouts and 15 parent graduation certificates
- Evaluation materials
The curriculum has comprehensive, clear step-by-step instructions for the Parenting Educator that enables implementation of the program without a training requirement.
However, many Parenting Educators greatly benefit from the training and training support services provided by Parenting Now. Please see our Training for Parenting Educators page.
The first thing I noticed about the Second Edition was how easy it is to get the families talking about each topic. Throughout the series, families tell me they already see results in their children’s behavior from using strategies they are learning.
One of the sessions explores communication and teaching children what TO DO instead of telling them what NOT to do. A Mom told us her daughter was about to walk through a wet spot on the carpet, and her father said “Don’t walk on that!” Mom said she could see that her two-and-a-half-year-old daughter could not figure out what to do instead. Mom then told her daughter, “Walk around the wet spot, this way,” and the child responded correctly. The mom said it was an epiphany!
- Hali Burley, MPAP Parenting Educator with Parenting Now